November 26, 2019
The Heritage Harbor team give THANKS for YOU!!!
The Heritage Harbor team give THANKS for YOU!!! Our beloved harbor wouldn’t be the same without each of the individuals who make up the ‘Harbor Crew.’ Here are just a few of the ways we want to express our THANKS during this holiday season.Read More
September 19, 2018
Starved Rock Country Fall Bucket List
“Fall has officially arrived!!! Cooler evenings, clear sunny days, the arrival of pumpkin spice everything”
Many people would say that Fall is their favorite season, and those in Starved Rock Country have much to be excited about!!! The natural environment in Starved Rock Country is unrivaled as trees are preparing to reveal their true glory in a kaleidoscope of color.
If you haven’t made your Fall Bucket List yet, here are 25 ideas to get you in an “Autumn State of Mind.”
- Hit the trails at Starved Rock or another Illinois State Park.
- Participate in Bike-a-rita; bike from Heritage Harbor to Buffalo Rock and back.
- Check out Scarecrow Fest on September 29 in Downtown Ottawa, and if you’re feeling adventurous, enter your own Circus-themed Scarecrow!
- Plan to take part in Utica’s 49th annual Burgoo Festival, one of the longest-running and largest fall festivals in northern Illinois. This year’s event is scheduled for October 6th and 7
- Light up the backyard bonfire and toast some hot dogs and marshmallows.
- Attend a football game and tailgate with fans.
- Book your Water Sports rental and take advantage of the last few weeks of aquatic fun on the Illinois River.
- Bake an autumnal treat or visit Ottawa Bakery to indulge in a tasty treat.
- Invite friends over for a pumpkin carving or scarecrow building contest.
- Make caramel apples and kettle corn and host a games evening with friends.
- Grab your witchy pals for Witches Night Out in Starved Rock Country at Pitstick’s Pavilion on October 13 for a bewitching ladies-only evening.
- Take an Illinois River cruise to get a view of the fall spectacular from the water.
- Brew some pumpkin spice coffee and go for a fall foliage drive
- Schedule a Girls’ wine and craft night. Makery on Mill provides scheduled craft evenings as well as the option for private events.
- Capitalize on the cooler weather and have a garage cleanout session.
- Take a family trip to the orchard. Boggio’s Orchard in Granville has something for everyone with weekend festive fun, pumpkins, apple cider, cider donuts, corn maze, and petting zoo. Be sure to check out their annual Pumpkin Harvest Craft Show on September 29-30.
- Host or attend an outdoor scary movie night.
- Go on a spooky ghost tour or view the Ghosts of Ottawa Past at Reddick Mansion.
- Experience a stay in a Harbor Inn cottage at Heritage Harbor with exclusive Illinois River fall foliage views.
- Dine al fresco at a local restaurant. Soak in the harbor views at Red Dog Grill, or for a downtown view, try the new A.S.H. location on LaSalle St, Ottawa.
- Schedule a family photoshoot to take advantage of the rich fall color palette.
- Cook up something savory with squash or pumpkin.
- Participate in a weekly Parkrun event at Heritage Harbor in Ottawa or take a leisurely bike ride along the I & M Canal.
- Indulge your inner adventure-seeker with a Skydive Chicago
- Schedule a date for the Wine and Art Walk on November 3 in downtown Ottawa.